Alternative Funerals in Yorkshire
The word ‘alternative’ doesn’t necessarily mean that ceremonies have to be strange!
It is true that they are perhaps not as conventional as the traditional style of funeral but they allow a broader and open perspective to a funeral ceremony.
These ceremonies can embrace and honour the personal beliefs of the person being remembered. Many rituals and symbolic ceremonies can be performed to recognise the Rite of Passage in an alternative funeral ceremony.
As a celebrant that specialises in alternative funerals, I will ensure each ceremony represents the individuality of the person. Telling the story of a person’s life is my priority.
We can include very individual and unique rituals and themes too! For example, here are a few examples of personalised details that can be performed in a funeral to make it unique to the person!
- Drinking of shots and downing of pints
- Wearing of certain shirts and outfits
- Dancing the favourite dance of the person – or how they used to dance!
- Chanting and singing to recognise and honour a specific belief
There are many symbolic elements and rituals that can be included in the ceremony too such as:-
- Tree planting
- Memory boards and boxes
- Memory Stones
- Balloon or Dove release
- Tying of messages to the coffin
- Writing messages on the coffin
- Interactive puzzles and colouring for children
- Open mic – this can be arranged to happen after the ceremony so that anybody can be involved
Alternative Funeral Venues
To avoid the time restrictions and possible fees incurred at venues such as crematoriums, why not think of an alternative funeral venue?
There are many indoor and outdoor locations where funeral ceremonies can be delivered such as:-
- Woodlands and Natural settings – woodlands, beaches and other natural locations
- Outdoor areas such as riversides, canal sidings, parks, fields, meadows, moorings, campsites, sea sides and other outdoor options
- Gardens – this could be your own back garden at home or in a public (permission will be required for public spaces)
- Village, Community and Sports Halls
- Event Venues such as Pubs, Wedding Venues, Night Clubs, Castles,
- In the street – outside your front door so that friends, family and residents can be present
If there was a place special to the person being remembered or where the ashes will be scattered, this location may be much more suitable and honourable tribute.
“I simply cannot recommend Louisa highly enough. Words do not do justice to her ability to create a bespoke service which focuses on the individual and encapsulates all that is important to them and their loved ones.
As an independent funeral director, I have heard many end of life services, funerals and memorials but it is the depth of Louisa’s services which sets her apart and her intuitive approach to the family and the ceremony is wonderful. Each of her services are unique, personal-centred, meaningful and truly memorable.”